Makami Serif Mosque and Prophet Danyal Grave (Central district)
This mosque was built in 1857. There is grave of Prophet Danyal to the east of mosque. Because of this mosque is called as “Makam Mosque”.Danyal had lived in II Babel King Nebuchadnezzar’s (605-562 BC) time and had saved Jews from Babylon captivity with his knowledge and soothsaying due to rumors King Nebuchadnezzar sees in his dream that male child from children of Ismail will dethrone him. To avoid this situation he orders to kill all male children coming from children from Ismail. When Danyal was born, his family left him in the cave at the top of the mountain. After growing up under protection of wolves in cave, Danyal started to live with his tribe. During scarcity of food he was invited to tarsus and with his coming scarcity disappeared. Because of this, people did not want to his return to Babylon and he lived in Tarsus till his death and was buried here. In 17th year of Anna Hegira during Omer time when Tarsus was invaded Danyal’s grave was opened and a tall corpse wrapped in cloth woven from gold threads was found in walled tomb. They also found one ring with the image of child being licked by male and female lions – which was the symbol of adventures experienced by him, on it. In accordance with all these, to prevent the stealing of Jews, Omer ordered to bury his corpse deeper and had small creek coming from Berdan River pass over it. During the recent repairs of mosque in the deep bottoms at the rear part near the place where water enters thick and uniform crenel irons were found Danyal’s grave is under the water passing through these channels.
Cave of Eshab-I Kehf (Tarsus)
It is in the Ulas village in the 14 km away from Tarsus. This cave is also mentioned in Kehf Sura of Koran, Moslems and Christians accept this cave to be saint. The cave can be accessed by going down through 15-20 stairs to the ground. There is a rumor about cave of Eshab-I Kehf among people. During the period when the belief in mythological gods was weakening, because of believing in the only God, the seven young men who belonged to Christianity (Seliha, Mixelina, Neslina, Mernus, Sazernus, Debernus and Kafetatrius) were forced to come before the king. They were given a time to return to idolatry, otherwise they would have been killed. In order to escape from death they used of a time given to them and ran away with the dog named Kitmir and took shelter in a cave. They were given a 300 year – sleep by the God. One of them waking up first had gone to city to buy a food. Because he had old money with him, he was caught. When the man who had caught him came to cave found only a nest where 7 baby birds were perched. Because of all these this place is always remembered “Seven Sleepings Cave”.
Ulu (old) mosque (Tarsus)
Situated in Tarsus, this mosque was built on the remains of Pierre Church by son of Piri Pasha, from children of Ramadan, Ibrahim Bey in 1579.
Paul Church (old mosque - Tarsus)
The church near bazaar is said to be built in 1102 AD as Paul Cathedral. Having thick and high walls, narrow, deep windows, big and thick columns, it was constructed in roman style. And all these make it to be very attractive. After being restored by Ramadanoglu Ahmed Bey in 1415 AD it was converted to mosque. Nowadays Muslims pray here and Christians visit this place.
Paul Well (Tarsus)
it is in the yard of the house where Paul- born in Tarsus, is supposed to have lived in. people belief that the water in the well left from roman period is health – giving. In our days this water that draws attentions of tourists is believed to be holy and saint.
Paul Monumental Museum (Tarsus)
It is a square planned construction with walls covered by hewn stones, which is in a large garden. It was built in 1850 in Tarsus.
Alahan Monastery (Mut)
It is on the Mut-Karaman highway, in 20km distance to the north of Mut. It is predicted that it was built in 440-442 AD and possesses an excellent view. Buildings of church have common architecture characteristics with Ayasofya. In the decoration of church the art of carving shows itself clearly.
Meryemlik (Aya Tekla-Silifke)
It is on the top of hill in 1,5 km distance to the south of Silifke. It is a holy cytological area belonging to Christianity period. It is believed that a student of Paul, Aya Tekla had spent the last years of his life in caves existing here and spread Christianity by showing miracles. After his death it was accepted as “Martyrdom” and was the center of hajj (pilgrimage). In the cave where Aya Tekla had lived the first Christian Basilica (Royal Palace) of the vicinity was built. In the period after the acceptance of Christianity, in the different parts of cytological area, first being on the cave, vow churches were built by religious people, ruling class and Byzantine Emperor Zenon.
Zeus Temple and church (Silifke)
Peribolos – the wall bonded with polygonal stones is being seen at the south end of paradise landslide, which is the biggest one. This wall surrounds god’s house that functioned in three different stoical periods and its yard. The first construction established in Doric style was temple with two columns placed between two walls on front face. These primary temple not surrounded with columns is the kind of monument built for the glory of Zeus symbolizing his victory over giant Tupon. The names of 130 religious men, the great of those times who had served in roman period were engraved on the polished stones of north walls of temple looking to the east. Temple being the construction of polytheistic age was fully destroyed during Christianity and instead of it church in the form of Basilica was built.
Paradise Obruk (swallow hole) – the Virgin Mary Church (Silifke)
It is a hole formed as a result of platform falling down caused by erosion of underground stream bed (creek) in limestone layer in Miosen age of third geological era. It is situated in 3 km distance to the north of Narlikuyu. Paradise hole where Christians hide themselves from religious reactions is in the 60m depth from ground. This hole is at the height of 135 m from sea level and antique stairs left from roman period is used to go down to the hole. Inside of paradise hole, near the entrance of cave belonging to the polytheistic age, the church, symbolizing an objection, to old belief, was built. From epitaph of 4 lines, written on the entrance door of the church, it is understood that was built by benevolent, religious man – Paulus, as votive offering to the Virgin Mary. The Virgin Mary church together with the church converted from temple placed outside and at south tip of paradise hole is predicted to be left from the same period.