Skip Navigation Links  

[Istanbul]


THE AYNALIKAVAK PAVILION      


Skip Navigation Links.

The pavilion is located in Haskoy in the district of Kasımpasha. This mansion is all that remains of the Shipyard “Tersane” Palace complex, which was the largest of the shore palaces. Built in the early 18th century and later restored by various sultans. The Aynali Kavak Summer Pavilion assumed its name, Mirrored Poplar, when its famed mirrors, a gift from some of the Venetian, were installed in 1718. The pavilion on Golden Horn is one of the most beautiful examples of traditional Turkish architecture. On the lower floor of the Aynalıkavak pavilion there are a research center and a museum exhibiting old Turkish musical instruments.


The Ihlamur Pavilion


Ihlamur valley which is located between Beshiktash, Yildiz and Nishantashi was a promenade place which was converted to “Hasbahche” and belonged to the Sultan’s. Constructed between 1849-1855 by Architect Nigogos Balyan to be used as a villa for hunting and recreation. The structure is stabilized on an elevated subsection, about three meters high from the ground. The access of the entrance is by a two direction stairway and consists of a U shaped baroque style. It draws attention with the baroque and rococo style high embossed decorations on its facade. On the side facades there are balconies stabilized on carrier base.


The Kuchuksu Pavilion


The structure which is located on the shore of Bosporus, between Kandilli and Anadolu hisarı ”Citadel of Anatolia” where the Goksu river joins the sea, that was made during the Abdulmecit era and designed by Nikogos Balyan was completed in 1857. It was stabilized on a subsection about three meters high from the ground. The access of the entrance is by a horse shoe shaped stairway. There is a fountain located on the two arms of the stairway. The facades are extremely animated with baroque and rococo styled decorations. The structures interior decoration also reflects the appreciation of the baroque-rococo designs.


The Maslak Pavilions


The Maslak Pavilions, which are located on the right side of the road that binds Ayazaga and Levent together, were made by Sultan Abdulaziz as a hunting lodge. The structure is a superb example of the late 19th century Ottoman decorative style.


The Hidiv Pavilion


The Hidiv Pavilion is located on the shore of the Asian side of the Bosporus on a slope between the Chubuklu and Kanlica district. The structure was built in 1906 as a residence of Abbas Hilmi Pasha, the last Khedive of Egypt. The sections of the structure that were renovated in 1984 were arranged as a restaurant, patisserie and hotel rooms.


The Florya Ataturk Sea Pavilion


Florya which is located on the coast of the Marmara Sea between Yesilkoy and Kuchukkcekmece, had gained importance as a result of Ataturk’s concern and a kiosk was made for Ataturk by the Istanbul Municipality in the year 1935. It was styled in a T-shaped design on land jutting out over the Sea of Marmara; it serves as a showcase for some of the finest examples of furnishing of the early-20th century period. The Florya Ataturk Sea Pavilion served as a summer residence for Turkish presidents. Ataturk is the first president who lived here. For quite a while the Great Leader lived in this pavilion during the months of June and July 1936. He used it for political and scientific meetings and accommodated prominent guests such as the King of England Edward VIII.


Amcazade Huseyin Pahsa Seaside Pavilion


Except for the magnificent Pavilions constructed by empires, the majority of many shelters and mansions, kiosks, waterside houses, and bay-windowed houses, were built in the late17th century which remains in our present, day located in Istanbul. The structures located on the shore are called “sahilhane” or “yali”. There have been many waterside houses constructed in Istanbul, especially on both sides of the Bosporus due to the sea being an integral part of their lives. One of the oldest examples is the Amcazade Huseyin Pasha Seaside Pavilion. The building was constructed in 1699 by the Grand vizier of the era of Mustafa II, and is the oldest surviving yali. Its wooden structure draws attention with its plane facade. In the interior there are rich engraved ornaments.


The Botter Apartment


The structure was built in 1907 at the time of the increasing activity of the prevalent foreign architectures, in Istanbul by Italian architect Raimondo D'Aranco, which was one of the important representatives of Art Nouveau architecture. It was built for the sultan’s tailor H.Botter. The structure that brought new activity to the main street with its non traditional facade is located in Istiklal Street. This facade is being cut perpendicular by four giant plasters which are decorated with medallions, abstract flower and plant motifs and two human stone heads. Plasters are conjugating together with intricate cornice decoration at the fourth floor level, flower motifs are repeated on the top of the entrance door and on the tiny towers of the structure. Serpentine which is the indispensable style of Art Nouveau was used on the iron palisade of the balcony.


The Tayyare Apartment


The floor houses in Harikzadegan located in the Laleli district was completed in 1922 and builded by architecture Kemalettin. The structure that belongs to architecture Kemalettin, has an importance as a representative of national architecture movement and was built to house families with low income that lost their homes in the great fire in 1918.


Architect Vedat Tek House


Vedat Tek (1873-1942) constructed it in Nishantashi, in the early years of the Republic period. Its plan and decorations are adequate to national architecture style characteristics.