Skip Navigation Links  

[Ankara]


HISTORICAL BUILDINGS      


Skip Navigation Links.



Ankara Castle


It is not exactly known when the Ankara Castle, which can be called the symbol of the city, was built. However, it was discovered that it had existed during the time of the Galatians in the 2nd century BC and then it was repaired in the Roman age. The castle consists of two sections as inner and outer castle. The Byzantines probably built the interior walls in the 7th century. The Byzantines repaired the castle, which was damaged by Arabic attacks, again in the 9th century. The Seljuk’s in 1073, The Crusaders in 1101, captured it and then again Seljuk’s in 1227. There is not much remaining today from the large outer castle with 20 towers. The towers are quadrangle shaped in the outer castle and there are two gates, which are the outer castle gate to the west and the Hisar (castle) gate in the south. There is an inscription dated 1330 from Ilhanlilar on the Castle Gate. The inner castle consists of 42 towers with the heights of 14-16 meters. The highest point of the castle is the Akkale on the north. Today there are many Ankara houses from the Ottoman era still standing since the 17th century and also the Aladdin Mosque within the castle.


Kalecik Castle


The castle is on the road to Cankiri and 78 kilometres From Ankara. It dates back to the Byzantine Age.


Akkopru


It is over the Ankara Stream and is the oldest bridge of Ankara. The Seljuk Ruler Aladdin Keykubat I commissioned it in 1222, at the time for the governor of Ankara, “Kizilbey”. The bridge, which has survived until now, is no longer in use. It consists of 7 sharp arches. It has two inscriptions on the west side, one of which is obscure.


Suluhan (Sulu Inn)


It is situated in the Haci Dogan neighbourhood, Suluhan street. It is believed that it was commissioned by the Shaikh al-lslam (the chief religious official in the Ottoman Empire) Mehmet Emin Bey in 1685 as a foundation for the Zincirli Mosque. It consists of two sections. The first section has a courtyard and two floors. Only a few shops from the eastern and southern sides have survived until today in this section. The other section which is on the south end is just one floor and narrower than the other. The second section, which is totally underground right now, is believed to have been saved for the barns and storage rooms. On the west side of the inn there is a small “arasta” (a street or row of shops) with three sections.


Cengel Khan (Inn)


It is situated under the castle, in the Atpazari square, Sefa street. From the inscriptions on the inn it is understood that it was built in 1522.


Zagfiran Khan (Safran Inn)


It is in Atpazari and was commissioned by Haci Ibrahim Bin Haci Mehmet. Since its records were arranged in 1512, it is believed to have built around that date. Half of the inn is on a private property and the other half belongs to the foundation. There is a small mosque in it.


Eski Hamam (The Old Baths)


Although the dressing rooms of the baths are in ruins, the sauna and cold rooms including the boiler room are still intact. The baths are being restored.


Karacabey Baths


Built in 1444. It was designed as a double bath, the west wing consists of adjacent dressing rooms and the east wing, built in a style distinctively different from the west wing, houses the saunas. It forms a large rectangular shape.


Roman Baths


The ruins are dated back to the time of the Roman Emperor Caracalla. It was dedicated to the God of healing Asclepius.


Guvenlik Memorial


It is in Kizilay within Guven Park. It was made from Ankara stone in 1935.


Mimar Sinan (Sinan the Architect) Memorial


The 4.30 meter high statue depicts Mimar Sinan (Sinan the Architect) standing in his authentic clothing.


Mithat Pasha memorial


The sculptor professor Huseyin Anka created it in 1966. It illustrates the grand vizier Mithat Pasha who founded the Ziraat Bank in 1863.


Ulus Republic Memorial


The Austrian sculptor Krippel sculpted this memorial in the Ulus Square in 1927 in the memory of the Independency war heroes. The high and triangular pedestal supporting Ataturk’s sculpture with his horse was made of Ankara stone.


Triumph Memorial


Sculpted by the Italian sculptor Pietro Cannonica in 1927. It is a bronze sculpture of Ataturk standing and leaning against his sword while in uniform.


Ankara Inner Castle Houses


These houses in the castle are mostly duplex. In the basement, there are the rooms assigned to the employees and some of them have barns. The first floor rooms belong to the property owner. In most houses, it is possible to reach a terrace called “sergah” which is open from the sides but covered on top, access is through a staircase with one open side. The guest rooms, meeting room and bedrooms are on the second floor.

The floors are covered with square bricks. The ceilings are divided into square screens by strips. There are ornamented globes in the centre of the ceiling. There are small openings next to the altar shaped stoves, which are ornamented with the plaster reliefs and have bumps on the surface. They are called “lazy holes”. The rooms are open to the street with “sergah” or windows.


Beypazari Houses


Beypazari is located 100 kilometres west of Ankara. Beypazari Houses, which were built on the steep hillsides and valleys, show the typical characteristics of Ottoman and traditional Turkish houses.

From the residential architectural point of view, the main type is the duplex or triplex house with an alcove or with a penthouse called “kuskana”. The main floors of the houses consist of the sections such as barn, hayloft, cellar and staff quarters. Upstairs are the living area for the householders.


Ayas Houses


Historical Ayas houses with the typical architectural characteristics of the Ottoman and traditional Turkish houses are usually duplex. The houses are made of half wood half stone and have barns, cellars, and other sections like the staff quarters in the bigger houses on the main floor. Upstairs, there are two or three rooms, kitchen, toilet and bathroom around the corridor. 37 of the Ayas houses are registered and preserved.