Issa Bey Mosque (Seljuk)
This mosque was found on Ayasuluk Hill on the west side of St. Jean Basilicas in one of the Seljuk’s works. It was made by Aydinoglu Isa Bey in 1375. It is the work of transition period between Selcuks’ and Ottoman mosques.
Hisar (Castle) Mosque (Central District)
Being the largest mosque of Izmir it was built in 1592 in the middle Kemeralti-Hisanonu square. It is a single storied and monumental mosque. It was built from hewn stones. There is one big dome in the center surrounded by smaller ones.
It is placed in 9km to Odemish. Being the distinguished examples of Ottomans’ and Seljuk’s’ architecture it was included to the list oh the World Culture Heritage. Tomb and theological school of Imami Birgivei, Medresah of Darul Hades. Mosque of Guduk Minare (Short Minaret), Ulu mosque and Aydinogullari’s tomb all are placed here.
Izmir Church (Central District)
Being the second of seven churches mentioned in Bible, Izmir church was very important in 2nd and 3rd centuries.
Karatash Beth Israel Synagogue (Central District)
Situated in Midhat Pasha Bulvar with its Victoria styled architecture there was special to the end of the last century is being scene of weddings.
House of the Virgin Mary (Seljuk)
It is on the Bulbul Mountain of 420m height, in 9km of Seljuk. It is thought to be built A.C. 4, which is also called “Panaya Kapulu” by Christians. One of the mihrabs represents the souls of Jesus. Jesus had submitted his mother to his friend and apostle St. Jean before he was caught and crucified. After crucifix of Jesus, St. Jean found the Virgin Mary’s existence in Kudus to be dangerous and brought her here. Even these rumors sometimes get mixed up with legends there are evidences that testify realities. Understanding the responsibility of spreading Christianity St. Jean had chosen the city of Efes, the biggest city of the time, as his target. Because he did not want the Virgin Mary to be in arms of idolaters, he had hidden her in a hut densely surrounded with trees on Bulbul Mountain. It is also known that. St. Jean had visited her everyday and taken food and drink to her. It is believed that the Virgin Mary had lived there up to her 101 years and died. The Virgin Mary was buried on this mountain by St. Jean in unknown place. After the spread of Christianity the church in the cross shape was built where the Virgin Mary had lived. This house was announced to be the holy place pf Christianity in 1967 by papacy. Every year in the first Sunday following 15th august the religious ceremony is hold and all participants become haci.
St. Jean Royal Palace (Seljuk)
Built by Byzantium Emperor Justine in 6 century in the name of St. Jean it is placed on Ayasuluk Hill. There are places for monks to the cast St. Jean grave which in the middle of Royal Palace, under the dumb and also under the ground level. These constructions are separated from church in semicircles. There exist monograms of Imperator Justine and his wife Theodora and the headings of restored columns of church near the holy paintings.
Bergama Church (Bergama)
It is the only church among 7 churches mentioned in Bible whose location is known exactly. The Royal Place named as “Kizil Avlu” (Gold Yard) by Bergamis has also following meanings: “Seraphen” and “Neither on the earth nor in the sky”. This church played an important role in 313-500 years after St. Jesus.