Skip Navigation Links
 

[Religious Tourism]


BURSA      


Skip Navigation Links.



Ulu Mosque (Center)


It was constructed between the years of 1396 and 1400 by Yildirim Bayezit. It is fully made up of hewn stone, with very thick and high walls, on 12 heavy four-edged grades, with pendantives as of 20 domes. It is the most classical and the most monumental example of the multi-domed mosques. It also has the biggest size (318 square meters) among all the Turkish mosques with its rich and roomy space. The mosque is a masterpiece of art with its embroideries. According to the rumor related to the construction of the fountain (sadirvan), some lands should be nationalized for the construction of Ulu Mosque. The place where the fountain (sadirvan) built belonged to a Jewish woman. The Jewish woman who did not want to give her land saw in her dream that everybody was running into the same direction. She curiously asked where they were going, and took the answer of ‘To the Heaven!’. She also wanted to run, but they prevented her from this as she did not give her land. The Jewish woman highly impressed with this dream gave her land the following day on condition that they would build a fountain. When the construction of the mosque discontinued because of financial problems, Christian and Jewish communities made a monetary contribution, and Muslims in return used the stones, on which the signs of David’s Star and Cross are engraved, on the windows of the mosque to show their gratitude.


Emir Sultan Mosque and Tomb (Center)


Emir Sultan, who is a famous scientist came to Bursa in 1391, and married with the daughter of Yildirim Bayezit, Hundi Fatma Hatun. Emir Sultan Mosque and tomb was constructed by his wife during the period of Murat II. It is on a hill east of Bursa, next to the Emir Sultan Graveyard.


Muradiye Complex (Center)


It is located within a huge park in Muradiye district. The Complex, which was constructed by Sultan Murat II between the years of 1424-1426, is made up of mosque, theological school, alms house, public bath and 12 tombs.


Orhan Mosque and Complex (Center)


The Complex, which is constructed by Orhan Bey between the years of 1339 – 1340, is made up of mosque, theological school, alms house, school, public bath and inn (Emir Inn). The structure east of Ulu Mosque is among the first examples of the Ottoman Complex.


Hudavendigar Mosque and Complex (Center)


The complex, which was constructed by Sultan Murat I (Hudavendigar) between the years of 1366 and 1385, is located in the Cekirge district and is composed of a mosque, theological school, alms house, tomb and public bath. The two-storied structure’s first floor, which is unique in Ottoman architecture, is a mosque while the upper floor is a theological school.


Yildirim Bayezit Complex (Center)


The complex which was constructed between the years of 1390 and 1399, is in the Yildirim district at the east of the city. It is composed of a mosque, theological school, cure house (darussifa), tomb, inn, public bath, alms house, summer palace, kitchen, service rooms and stable structures. The mosque situated at the middle of the complex is one of the most monumental examples of the sided mosques, and it has a charter of waqf dated 1399. Ottoman architecture started to find its unique style of building structure with this mosque.


Green Mosque (Center)


The adornments of the mosque, which was constructed by Celebi Sultan Mehmet between the years of 1419 and 1420, was built in 1424 during the period of Murat II. It is known as the Green Mosque due to the green turquoise and tiles used on adornments. Its architect is Haci Ivaz Pasha. The mosque, one of the most important Ottoman structures, is famous for its adornments much more than its architecture.


Green Tomb (Center)


The structure, which is the symbol of Bursa, is among the most beautiful examples of Ottoman tomb architecture. The tomb is a unique structure with its tile adornments. Its niche fully covered with tile is a masterpiece of art. Adorned with geometrical motifs, the door on which there is an inscription is built by the transition technique of walnut tree, which is one of the most beautiful examples of the Ottoman wooden work.


Gerus Synagogue (Center)


It was constructed by the first convoy of the Jewish group who was expelled from Spain towards the end of the 14th century and was welcomed to the Ottoman Empire by being taken up onto the galleons brought to the region by the Ottoman Emperor Selim II. This first convoy was settled in Bursa. That the synagogue was given a name as Gerus meaning "expelled" in Hebrew language has a special meaning in this sense. The synagogue reaching to our times in a good and well-kept condition is open for the Jewish community.


Mayor Synagogue (Center)


It was constructed by the other Jewish communities welcomed by the Ottoman Empire from the Mayorka Island of Spain in the 15th century, and settled in Bursa. These communities inspired from the name of the island they came from and they gave the name Mayor to this synagogue. The multicolour engraving motifs ornamenting the interior section of the synagogue are important.


Etz Ahayim Synagogue (Center)


The name of the synagogue, located at Arap Sukru Street and constructed in the beginning of the 14th century, means "Life Tree" in the Hebrew language. It is important in that it is the first synagogue to be constructed during the Ottoman period. An imperial order was announced during the reign of Orhan Bey, who conquered Bursa, and the construction of this synagogue was approved.


Iznik Green Mosque (Iznik)


The mosque, which is the most important monumental structure of Ottoman architecture in Iznik, is at the east of the province and near the Lefke Gate. It was constructed by Candarli Hayrettin Pasha in 1378 - 1398. The brick minaret fitting into the tradition of the Seljukian tradition is ornamented with green turquoise, yellow and purple tiles giving its name to the mosque.


Hacı Ozbek Mosque (Bazaar Mosque - Iznik)


It is within the bazaar in Iznik. It was constructed in 1333, and is the Ottoman mosque with the oldest inscription in history.


Seyh Kudbettin Mosque (Iznik)


It is opposite the Green Mosque, next to the Iznik Museum. It was constructed in the beginning of the 15th century. A part of its architecture and some wall ruins of the structure collapsed during the War of Independence have survived till today. the stone on which the chandelier with seven candles, the symbol of the Jews, was used in the construction of mosque, which is the most beautiful example for the tolerance of Muslims.


Ayasofya Museum (Iznik)


The structure, a Byzantium church constructed in the middle of the city in the 15th century, was turned into a mosque during the period of Orhan Gazi. The museum is where the 7th Ecumenic Council of importance for Christians was arranged. The structure is in a ruined condition today.


Senatus (Consule Palace, Iznik)


The Senatus, where the first of Consul meetings of great importance for Christians was performed, is also named as Consul palace. The ruins of the piece of art which is at the side of Lake Gate, are below the lake waters.


Hypogeum (Underground Grave’s Room – Elbeyli-Iznik)


It is the grave’s room constructed on the Elbeyli Village highway in the 15th century. It is the most valuable hypogeum in Turkey. There are two embossed peacocks on the west wall. The sarcophagus within the grave is ornamented with ribbed columns interlocked to each other with embroideries and circular arches.