Skip Navigation Links  

[Izmir]


HISTORICAL BUILDINGS      


Skip Navigation Links.

The agora of the Roman Period situated in Izmir’s Namazgah district, is the largest and best preserved agora of the Ionia. The agora where the origins of the philosophy were seeded and where the public used to assemble, shop, perform their art activities was rebuilt after its collapse in the earthquake in A.D 178.

The panoramic view of Izmir from Kadifekale where Izmir was rebuilt with the command of Alexander is quite enjoyable. The remains of Old Ancient Greek, Romanian and Byzantine Era are also among the historic sites in Izmir. The five towers in the western side and the wall in the southern side of the castle are preserved till present time.

The symbol of Izmir is the Clock Tower placed in the center of the city, in Konak Square. The 25 meter height Clock Tower which was built in 1901 as a gift from one of the last Ottoman Sultans Abdulhamit Han, witnessed many events through the century. It is also significant due to the fact that it is the symbol of first modern architecture. The tower rising above octagon bases is an elegant work of art with its decorations and workmanship.

The restored houses in Asansor which is a Jewish quarter are spectacular. In 1907, a 51 m elevator was built so as to ease the transportation between two neighborhoods. The elevator which the area is named after connects the upper and lower streets. The entry to Asansor is from Dario Moreno Street. The surroundings of this street reconstructed in 1985 and 1994. The restaurant located at Asansor’s offers visitors to relish Izmir’s prominent scenery. Kemeralti District, ancient Jewish houses in Havra Street and numerous synagogues are the places that flourish the historical atmosphere of the city.

The restored houses situated in one of the old settlement place, Alsancak’s (Punto) non-traffic area, are lions of Izmir’s. Once upon a time, the Levantines, the Turkish Greeks and the Armenians used to live in this area. Alsancak Station which was opened in 1856 is an important historical site as well.

The frontal side of Ataturk Statue, located between Efes Hotel and Cumhuriyet Square in Pasaport district, is diverted towards the sea and His finger is stretched out as well. The Statue stands for the famous day when Ataturk commanded as “Army, your first target is the Mediterranean, ahead!” The monument built in 1933 also symbolizes the city’s liberation by the Turkish Army. The Flying Dolphins Monument in Karsiyaka district is the symbol of friendship and brotherhood.