Located on the passage between Mid-Anatolia and the Black Sea regions, Yozgat is an important city with its historical, cultural, natural beauties and rich cuisine. The city where the history of settlement goes all the way back to 3000 B.C. had such names as Tavium and Bozok in the past, and is known to be colonized by Hittites, Frigs, Kimmers, Lydians, Hellenists, Galats, Romans, Selcuks, Beylikler and Ottomans.
Districts of the city: Akdagmadeni, Aydincik, Bogazliyan, Candir, Cayiralan, Cekerek, Kadisehri, Saraykent, Sarikaya, Sorgun, Sefaatli, Yenifakili and Yerkoy.
MUSEUMS AND RUINS
Some archeological creations are exhibited in Karslioglu Residence that was built in 1883 and used as a Governor residence since 1925 and for housing since 1936. A two floor, near rectangular construction has walls made of cut stones and floor, ceiling and carrying system made of wood. Door, cupboard and graven works on the ceiling are worth seeing.
The historical Nizamoglu House built in 1871 is used as Ethnography Museum. The east side of the house is facing the street. The storage room, kitchen and service rooms are on the ground floor, the hall and two rooms on each side are on the second. The Museum has over 4000 ethnographic works with 990 of them being exhibited.
Alisar Tumulus; In the tumulus located on the main road to Sarikaya district, about 45 km away from Yozgat, findings belonging to Chalcolithic, Bronze and Hittite were found. In this 950 m to 520 m tumulus ceramic pots, fancy seals, well wrought stones and bones, human and animal figures were revealed. Houses built during Chalcolithic Age are made of bricks. Bodies in the graves belonging to this age were found placed in a round shaped cavities, earthenware jars and sarcophagi.
In the Babu Ruins located at Akdagmadeni, stairs made from rocks lead to Hittite Rock Memorial (Hittite Kaya Aniti).
Some historical works were also found in Mercimektepe Tumulus, East from Yozgat.
Historical layers belonging to three different historical ages, namely Bronze, Frig and Hellenistic ages were found in Cengeltepe Tumulus located on the South of Mercimektepe Tumulus. In the region around Kerkenez that become an important center of Hittites after the Hattusha, Meds too founded a big city (Piterya). According to Herodotus, the battles between Lydians and Meds took place in this region. Ruins of the city, known as Kerkenez Ruins, are spread over a large area. Some water remainings can be found in the middle of the slightly inclined land. 4 m opening on the west side of the city wall ruins surrounding the city in known as city wall gates.
Buyuknefes (Tavilium) located on the road from Yozgat to Haydarbeyli, used to be an important center in the region between Buyuk and Kucuk Kale during Middle Bronze Ages. This place can be compared to the Karum city of Assyrian trading colonies. After the Iron Age the region was also colonized by Hellenists, Galats, Early and Late Byzantines.
Roman remaining is Sarikaya district include hamams, water arches and walls built of huge stones.
Ceska Underground City located on a high hill about 3 km northeast from the central district has three separate entrances. However, today it is not possible to enter the cit from these entrance doors. The entrances are from the rooms of a two-floor, three-room house on the South, from the chimney in the West and from the cradle arch gallery on the North. Roman and Byzantine ceramic works can be found in the ruins and bottom sections.
Underground caves carved into the rocks and stone ladders leading into them are found in Saraykent Divanli Village and belong to Byzantine period.
Built in 1779 and modified in 1794 Capanoglu Mosque has a single-domed main space, a space for the late parish of three sections, a two-domed space on the front part and a small closed section with three arch openings. The inner mosque is made of white cut stones and the outer mosque is made of claret red colored cut stones. Except from the gathering-place the mosque has mostly lost its originality and is surrounded by quadrangle walls from all sides. Drawings belonging to the Late Ottoman Periods have mostly been destroyed or changed during restorations. The pulpit of the mosque is made of a black, white, red, brown and green marbles. The second part of the construction has a mirror vault in the middle and covered by domes on two sides. The mosque with its 15.5 m wide dome and thin and high minaret can be seen from any part of the city.
The inner space of the Bascavus Mosque built in the Istanbuloglu quarter of the central district has a square shape. The mosque is made of both stones and bricks and has a big yard and a round shaped minaret attached on the northwest side. On the mihrab (a niche in the wall of a mosque that indicates to direction of Mecca) you can see stylized flower and branch motives cut from wood. You will see stylized plant and lattice motives, rosette on the ceiling and flower motives on the walls.
Saray Village Capanoglu Mosque located 20 km west from Yozgat was constructed in 1765. In 1957 a new minaret with a single balcony was added to the mosque. Inside the mosque on arch edges and pulpit balustrades you will find decorations made by latticework along with some made by engraving.
Kayyumzade (Demirci Ali Efendi) Mosque built in 1804 has a big yard, polygon shaped minaret. The mosque has a single entrance on the North side. Madrasah remaining were found under portico in the yard of the mosque. There are geometrical motives on the center of the ceiling, plant and geometrical motives cut from wood in the gathering gallery as well as engravings of baroque style on the arches.
Kubbeli Mosque in the Cayiralan district, Sorgun Pasa Mosque (1813) in the Sorgun district, Divanli Village Mosque (1678 - 1679), Kizlitepe Village Mosque (1816 - 1817) are among the other important mosques of Yozgat.
Some important mausoleums located in the center of the city and in the districts are Cerkez Bey Mausoleum (1855) located in Cayiralan that has an octagonal prism shape body placed on a square base, a dome and a balcony that faces North, Mahmut Celebi Mausoleum (1477) located in Akdagmadeni district, Celebi Mausoleum (1466 -1467), attached to a mosque and made of cubic stones and rubble, domed, simple-structured Osmanpasa Mausoleum in Osmanpasa district and Sah Sultan Hatun Mausoleum in Candir that is dating back to 1500 and has a octagonal shaped body made of clear-cut stones, a dome from the inside and a pyramidal roof on the outside and a balcony.
OTHER HISTORICAL CREATIONS
Cincinli Sultan Hani located in the Saraykent district was constructed back in 1221 from cut stones and rubble. Its roof has collapsed but, some parts of walls are still remaining.
The Karabiyik Bridge located on the 38th km of Yozgat Sefaatli road was built by Yavuz Sultan Selim during his travel to Egypt in 1516. The bridge made of cut white stones has three sharp arch openings. The bridge is 54m long and 4.5m in width and has 60cm high balustrades. The Beyler Bridge located on the Yozgat Bogazliyan road is made of yellow cut stones, has two arches and was built in 1896 – 1898. Kesikkopru Bridge located on the Eskisehir – Zile road 31 km North of Karamagara was built over Cekerek Suyu in the middle of 13th century. The Behremsah Castle located on the North of Caliskan Village was built in the first half of the 13th century. The remaining high walls of Selcuklu are made of rubble and covered with cut stones. There are three rectangular towers on the Northern and Western walls.
Akdagmadeni Church (1862) is a big structure made of cut stones with its entrance part broken. The church has an epigraphed, round arch on its front is made of cut stones and cut marble. The church has a rectangular base fitted with stones and eight round columns connected by round arches. Inside the church you’ll see a cross and geometrical motives.
A prism shaped high tower called Saat Kulesi was built in the center of the city in 1908. The tower ends with a bell shaped conical hat with lateral measures dividing the tower into six levels. The top level is surrounded by a terrace. Three floors below this level you can see windows with round arch.
OTHER TOURISTIC ATTRACTIONS
On the hills, 5 km south of the city is a protected Yozgat Pine Tree National Park with juniper, oak and black pine trees. This forest is well suited for camping and caravan stopovers, picnics, walking and is only 40 km away from Sarikaya hot springs. It is also very close to Bogazkoy and Alacahoyuk Hittite Villages located within the borders of Corum.
Kazankaya Valley, Akdaglar, Cayiralan and Sebekpinari forest areas are great for relaxation and walking. Delice River, Yahyasaray Pond, Cekerek River and Gelingullu Pond is suitable for fishing.
Bozok Upland around the Kizilirmak, Hisarbeyli Upland located inside the Akdag forests, and Kadipinar with its resting facilities spread over a wide area inside the Akdag forests are among the places you shouldn’t miss.
Cehirlik and Gelin Kayasi located on the Yozgat – Bogazkale road has a beautiful sight with wide tulips growing in the area. It is said that some tulip bulbs were taken to Netherlands from here.
Yozgat is also rich with hot springs with various healing powers. Sarikaya Hot Spring with its 48 0C water, Cavlak Hot Spring located in the Bahriye Village of Bogazliyan district, Sorgun Hot Spring with its 50 – 61 0C water and Yerkoy Hot Spring are the most important thermal spring tourist centers.
The cuisine that is mostly based on wheat products has some great dishes specific to Yozgat such as Arabasi, Madimak, Testi Kebab and Yozgat Tandir Kebab.
Rug, carpet, fabric textile products are interesting. Claret red, dark blue and green colors are widely used in textile products. Geometrical as well as stylized plant and animal motives are also used a lot. Other than these, hand-knotted works specific to this region are quite popular. www.yozgat.bel.tr www.yozgat.gov.tr